Ways of Giving

Ways of Giving

All gifts to Marlborough College Foundation go directly towards making Marlborough College an even better place to live and learn.

If you would like to support our bursaries fund, the future of Science, an area of Greatest Need or to make a legacy gift there are many ways in which you can help.

The easiest way to donate a one-off or regular gift is online, via our Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) donation form.


Donor Charter, Fundraising Code and Gift Acceptance

For more information about how we treat our donors, adhere to the Fundraising Code of Practise and our Gift Acceptance Policy, please click on the link below to download this policy document.

Tax Effective Giving

If you want to donate to a charity and you are a UK taxpayer there are a range of tax incentives and schemes available to help you get the most from your donation.

Giving through Gift Aid

Gift Aid is an invaluable source of  ‘extra’ income as it enables us to reclaim 25p from HM Revenue and Customs for every £1 donated. You need to be a UK taxpayer and have completed our Gift Aid agreement on the donation form.  You will also need to have paid more Income Tax or Captial Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on your donation in that tax year.

Claiming back higher rate tax

If you pay higher rate tax you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate on the total ‘gross’ value of your donations.

e.g. If you donate £100, the value of the donation is £125 and you can claim back £25 (£125 @ 20 %) if you pay tax at 40%.

Keeping records of your gifts to charity

If you are a higher rate taxpayer and want to claim tax relief for donations you need to keep records of these by date, value and recipient charity. If you normally complete a tax return, complete the section on Gift Aid Payments. If you do not complete a return, you can provide the details on form P810 Tax Review.

If you are a UK taxpayer and you have not previously signed a Gift Aid declaration, please download and complete our Gift Aid form to enable us to reclaim tax on any of your donations made in the last four years.
Gift Aid Declaration Form

Print Donation Form

If you prefer to give through the post, please download and print our donation form below.  Once you have completed the details needed to make a single or regular gift, please post it back to our Foundation address:

Marlborough College Foundation

Many thanks.


Gifts from the USA

If you wish to make a gift and take a US income tax deduction, you may make a donation to the British Schools and Universities Foundation (BSUF) Inc. This is a charitable organisation recognised by the US Internal Revenue Service under Section 501 (c) (3) of their Codes and Marlborough College is an approved beneficiary. The BSUF’s Federal ID Number is 13-616-1189.

US Tax Payers can make a cash donation to BSUF and receive a full US tax deduction for your donation, which can be done online via its website. Please visit www.bsuf.org for more information about BSUF or go to straight to the gift page, click here. You can write a cheque, made payable to BSUF, and send to BSUF 575 Madison Avenue, Suite 1006, New York NY 10022-2511

Please get in touch with Marlborough if you have any further questions or our US representative, past parent, Mr Charles Kirkwood, who most kindly oversees our US Foundation, from Shawnee Lodge, Shawnee-On-Delaware, PA 18356 or call 001 570 801 0156.

If you prefer, you can also download, print and complete our BSUF Donor Transmittal form.

Gifts from Hong Kong

If you live in Hong Kong and wish to donate tax efficiently, please download, print and complete our Hong Kong donation form

Gifts from other parts of the world

From other parts of the world, we can supply account details for electronic transfers. If you live overseas but still pay some UK tax, then we may be able to claim Gift Aid.

Please email or phone Jan Perrins, Associate Director (Development), on 01672 892439 for further details.

Gifts of Assets

If you give certain assets to a UK charity you can claim Income Tax relief and lower your tax bill. You can also claim relief if you sell the asset to a UK charity at less than its market value. The assets you can claim relief on are:

  • Shares and securities on the UK or another recognised stock exchange. Share giving is the most generous tax relief available to benefactors, combining relief on income and capital gains tax. To make a gift of shares you need to sign a transfer form to take the shares out of your name and put them into the charity’s name.
  • Units in an Authorised Unit Trust
  • Shares in a UK open-ended Investment Company
  • Holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes

Land and property in the UK

If you want to give land or property you must transfer the whole of your interest to the charity and cannot continue to live in/make use of it unless you pay an agreed market rent to the charity.

Calculating Income Tax relief on a gift of assets

This varies depending on whether you give or sell an asset to a charity. Income Tax relief on a gift is calculated by adding the market value of the asset to any costs eg legal fees and taking away any money/benefits gained from giving the asset to the charity. To work out the Income Tax relief when selling an asset to charity at less than market value, add the market value of the asset and any costs eg legal fees and take away any money/benefits gained from selling the asset to the charity. In both cases, Income Tax relief is calculated by deducting the remaining balance from your total income for the tax year you make the gift to reduce your tax liability. If you complete a Self Assessment tax return you can make your claim on the form. You can also ask HMRC to lower your Self Assessment payments.

Keeping records of your gifts of assets

You need to retain:

  • Share transfer documents
  • A certificate from the charity confirming the asset has been transferred to them
  • Any written request from a charity to sell land, property or shares on its behalf
  • Other tax advantages of giving assets to charity
  • There is no gain or loss for Capital Gains Tax purposes on any assets gifted to charity – not just those assets that qualify for Income Tax relief
  • Income tax relief is available at your highest rate of tax
  • All outright gifts to UK charities are excluded for Inheritance Tax purposes
  • UK charities do not have to pay Stamp Duty on outright gifts of property or shares

Gifts of Shares

Making a charitable gift of shares can be a highly tax-effective way of donating money to the Marlborough College Foundation. When you make a charitable gift of shares it is possible to do this at a substantially lower cost to yourself because of the generous tax relief that is available.

Charitable gifts of shares are free from capital gains tax and since April 2000 individuals can get income tax relief, at their highest rate, for the full market value of shares on the date of transfer to Marlborough College Foundation. This means that you will not pay tax on the equivalent amount of your income in the year that you make the gift and you can obtain the tax relief on your self-assessment tax return.

In order to qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be; listed or dealt on a recognized UK or foreign stock exchange, units in authorised unit trusts, shares in a UK open-ended investment company or holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes.

Please contact the Foundation Office for further information.

Bank Details

Please email or phone Jan Perrins, Associate Director (Development), on 01672 892439 for further details.

Payroll Giving

Giving through your pay or pension to charity

If you pay tax through PAYE, Payroll Giving offers a way to reduce the cost to you of making regular gifts. If your employer or company/personal pension provider runs a Payroll Giving Scheme, you can authorise them to make the donation from your wages or pension before deducting any tax. You complete a form for the Payroll Giving agency to tell them where to send your donations.

These donations are made after your National Insurance contributions are calculated but before Income Tax is deducted. You only pay tax on the balance and get tax relief immediately on your donation, at your highest rate of tax.

Payroll giving does not affect any other donations you make to charity and does not need to be entered on your Self Assessment tax return.


Your Will is an excellent way to provide for the people who are important to you; your friends and family, to help the charities you support, and to acknowledge the influences that have shaped your life. By remembering Marlborough College in your Will, you can help secure its future for generations to come.

Legacies are a highly tax-efficient way of making a donation, particularly where Estate Duty is likely to be incurred. All OMs, parents or friends who have pledged a legacy to the College become members of the 1843 Society.

There are different types of bequests, from a specific sum of money to a percentage of your estate once other bequests have been made. Your legacy may be in the form of money or financial assets, such as shares or property.

If you should wish to leave something to a specific project – Bursaries, Music, Drama, Sport, Art, a capital project, or any area of your particular interest, that is also welcome and again we are happy to discuss any specific requests.

If you wish to leave a legacy in your will, please download and complete our Legacy pledge form

Gift Aid

Please get in touch with the Foundation Office if you require any further information.